North Brisbane has undergone several mergers and name changes since being founded in 1933 as the Teachers Rugby Club. The club has won two Premierships; in 1963 (as Teachers), and in 1976 (as Teachers-Norths).
Norths in possession against Easts (2016 )
North Brisbane Rugby Club, or Norths, is an Australian rugby union club. The club plays in the Queensland Premier Rugby competition, and fields teams for males and females in several other grades and age-group competitions.
In the 1930s, the North Brisbane area was represented by the Eagle Junction Rugby Football Club, which was founded in 1931 and then promoted to first grade for the 1935 season after starting in the lower grades of the Brisbane competition. The club went on win four first grade Premierships from 1935 to 1938. Eagle Junction merged with the original Northern Districts club in 1952, and was rebranded as the Northern Districts Rugby Football Club and continued to play in first grade until 1955, but went back to the lower grades and ultimately disappeared from the Brisbane club rugby scene in 1960.
The club contested all finals series during this period, and reached the Grand Final in 1981. By 1984, when Teachers-Norths moved to their present club facilities at Shaw Rd, the fortunes of the club were in decline.
Chris Roche, a former Wallaby, and star player for Teachers-Norths during the 1970s and 1980s, became the club’s Coaching Director in 2005. He fostered a strong relationship with players from Papua New Guinea and recruited many players of PNG heritage to the club, including Wallaby Will Genia, who elected to join his brother, Frank, at Norths in 2009.
With the Army Rugby Club dropping out of the “A” Grade competition in 1960, there was an opportunity to promote the Teachers Training College Club to the Brisbane first grade competition in 1961 and maintain the 7 team competition format. The club’s first “A” Grade Premiership was won in 1963.
In 2001, Norths formed an alliance with Queensland University of Technology and became known as Norths-QUT, but the university moved away from an emphasis on sport and Norths decided to sever the alliance in 2008 to stand alone as the North Brisbane Rugby Club.
Hugh Courtney, then Principal of the College, maintained Teachers Rugby Club throughout the 60s and the early 70s. In 1974, Teachers amalgamated with the third club to use the Northern Districts name (founded in 1966) to become the Teachers-Norths Rugby Club. Teachers-Norths enjoyed a successful decade in the 1970s, winning the Premiership in 1976.
In 1991, Teachers-Norths merged again; this time with Redcliffe Rugby Club (founded in 1969) to become the North Brisbane Rugby Club. Norths had a name change to the Brisbane Barbarians Rugby Club for a brief period in the late 90s, but reverted to North Brisbane Rugby Club for the 1999 season.
The Teachers Training College Football Club played in the Brisbane Rugby League from 1927 in the lower grades until the end of the 1932 season. The club left the BRL competition and affiliated with the Queensland Rugby Union at the QRU Executive meeting on 21 March 1933.